Academic Areas: Computer vision, Target recognition and tracking, Medical image processing and analysis, Mission planning
Chao Cai, Associate Professor of School of Automation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology. He is a member of State Key Laboratory for Multispectral Information Processing Technologies, His research is focused on computer vision, target recognition and tracking, navigation and guidance, medical image processing and analysis, mission planning. As projects leader he has finished over 20 items, include national 863 project, aerospace fund project, Hubei Province Natural Science Fund project, aviation science fund and national defense project, obtain 3 national invention patents.
Sept. 1990-July 1994 Qufu Normal University,B.S.in Applied Mathematics
Sept. 1994-April 1997 Huazhong University of Science and Technology M.S. in Computational Mathematics
April. 2003-Oct. 2005 Huazhong University of Science and Technology Ph.D. in Pattern Recognition
Sept. 2014-present: Associate professor of School of Automation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
Jan.2005- Sept.2014: Associate professor of Institute of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
Jan.1999- dec.2004: Lecture of Mathematical Department of Huazhong University of Science and Techonology.
April 1997- dec.1998, Teaching Assistant of Mathematical Department of Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
1. Xixia Sun(#)，Chao Cai(*)，Jie Yang，Xubang Shen，Route evaluation for unmanned aerial vehicle based ontype-2 fuzzy sets，Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence，2015，39：132-145。
2. Xixia Sun(#)，Chao Cai(*)，Xubang Shen，A New Cloud Model Based Human-Machine Cooperative Path PlanningMethod，Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems，2014，79（9）：1573-1579。
3. Jie Xiao(#)，Chao Cai(*)，Contour detection based on horizontal interactions in primary visualcortex，Electronics Letters，2014，50（5）：359-361。
4. Shidong Li，Huihua Zhou，Jia Hu，Qing Ai，Chao Cai(*)，A fast path planning approach for unmanned aerialvehicles，Concurrency and Computation Practice and Experience，2014，29（3291）：1573-1578。
5. Jie Xiao，Chao Cai, Zhaoli Guo,Contour detection based on spatially unified modulation model, Journal of Image and Graphics, 2014，19（11）：1029-1033.
6. Jie Xiao，Zhaoli Guo，Chao Cai(*)，Gender Recognition Based on Face Geometric Features，8th Symposium onMultispectral Image Processing and Pattern Recognition (MIPPR) - Pattern Recognition and ComputerVision，Wuhan, PEOPLES R CHINA，2013.10.26-2013.10.27。
7. Jie Xiao，Zhaoli Guo，Chao Cai(*)，Contour detection based on the contextual modulation of non-classicalreceptive field facilitation and suppression，8th Symposium on Multispectral Image Processing andPattern Recognition (MIPPR) - Automatic Target Recognition and Navigation，Wuhan, PEOPLES R CHINA，2013.10.26-2013.10.27。
8. Hua Zhou，Chao Cai(*)，Mingyue Ding， Image distance measurement based on manifold learning and manifold high-order approximation, Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition), 40(3), pp 1-4，17, 2012。
9. Cai, Chao(#)(*)，Wang, Meng，Visual perception-based contour detection method，Journal of HuazhongUniversity of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition)，2011，39（7）：22-25。
10. Chao, Cai(#)(*)，Contour Integration and Segmentation with a New Lateral Connections Model，MIPPR 2011:Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision，Guilin, China，2011.11.4-2011.11.6。
11. Zhou, Hua(#)，Ding, Mingyue，Cai, Chao(*)，A novel image distance based on high-order manifoldapproximation，International Journal of Digital Content Technology and ItsApplications，2011，5（11）：126-133。
12. Hua Zhou，Mingyue Ding，Chao Cai(*)，A novel image distance based on Gabor feature and approximated manifold，7th Symposium on Multispectral Image Processing and Pattern Recognition (MIPPR) - PatternRecognition and Computer Vision，Guilin, PEOPLES R CHINA，2011.11.4-2011.11.6。
13. X.-W. Fu · M.-Y. Ding · C. Cai, Despeckling of medical ultrasound images based on quantum-inspired parameters estimation, Acta Electronica Sinica, 39(4), pp 812-818, 2011.
14. Hua Zhou，Chao Cai(*)，Mingyue Ding，sub-manifold distance based object recognition in clutter，SixthInternational Conference on Natural Computation，2010.8.10-2010.8.12。
15. Shaobin Chen，Chao Cai(*)，Mingyue Ding，Erlang Li，Design and implementation of knowledge base fortarget recognition in remote sensing images，2010 7th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems andKnowledge Discovery, FSKD 2010，2604-2608，Yantai, Shandong, China，2010.8.10-2010.8.12。
16. Jie Xiao，Chao Cai, Mingyue Ding, A novel visual attention model based on blob-guided perceptual grouping, Acta Aeronautica et Astronautica Sinica，2010，31（11）：2266-2274.
1. Security advanced individual award of Huazhong University of science and technology in 2014.
2. Excellent doctoral thesis of Huazhong University of science and technology in 2005.
3. Ideological and political advanced workers of Huazhong University of science and technology in 2000.
4. Excellent master’s degree thesis of Huazhong University of science and technology in 1997.
Digital Signal Processing
Mathematical methods in image processing
Wavelet and fractal
Modern digital signal processing
1.2015-2016, Project of Beijing institute of electrical and mechanical services, complex constraint checking model research.
2.2015-2016, China central college fundamental research fund, Machine vision aided percutaneous nephrolithotomy channel establishment method research.
3.2014-2015, Project of systems engineering research institute, Underwater vehicle route planning.
4．2013-2014，Project of institute of China state Shipbuilding Corporation, attack effect evaluation based on image understanding technologies.
5. 2010-2013, Project of Beijing institute of electrical and mechanical services, performance analysis of route planning systems.
6. 2011-2012, Huawei Fund, mobile phone face recognition research.
7. 2007-2010，National 863 project, Visual biomimetic and manifold learning based information perception in remote sensing image
8. 2008-2009, Aviation Science Fund, Visual biomimetic and manifold learning based object recognition.