Academic Areas: Pattern Recognition, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Image Processing.
Le An is an associate professor at School of Automation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology. He is also affiliated with the National Key Laboratory on Multi-spectral Information Processing. Dr. An’s research is primarily focused on pattern recognition, computer vision, machine learning, and image processing, with applications in surveillance, biometrics, affective computing, and medical image analysis. Dr. An has published in top journals/conferences including IEEE Transactions on Image Processing (TIP), IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS), IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT), IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), International Conference on Medical Imaging Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), etc. Dr. An has also worked with top research labs in industry around the world, including Philips Research in Netherlands, Canon and HP Labs in United States, etc. He is primary contributor for several US Patents.
Sept. 2002 - June 2006 Zhejiang University
B.Eng. in Telecommunications Engineering
Sept. 2006 - Aug. 2008 Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
M.S. in Electrical Engineering
Sept. 2010 - Sept. 2014 University of California, Riverside, United States
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering
Dec. 2015 - present: Associate Professor, School of Automation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
Nov. 2014 - Nov. 2015: Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States.
1. L. An, X. Chen, S. Yang, X. Li, "Person Re-identification by Multi-hypergraph Fusion", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 2016.
2. L. An, Z. Qin, X. Chen, S. Yang, "Multi-level Common Space Learning for Person Re-identification", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2016.
3. L. An, P. Zhang, E. Adeli, Y. Wang, G. Ma, F. Shi, D. Lalush, W. Lin, D. Shen, "Multi-level Canonical Correlation Analysis for Standard-dose PET Image Estimation", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2016.
4. L. An, M. Kafai, S. Yang, B. Bhanu, "Person Reidentification with Reference Descriptor", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2016.
5. Z. Jin, L. An*, B. Bhanu, "Group Structure Preserving Pedestrian Tracking in a Multi-Camera Video Network", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2016. (*Corresponding author)
6. L. An, X. Chen, S. Yang, B. Bhanu, "Sparse representation matching for person re-identification", Information Sciences, 2016.
7. L. An, X. Chen, S. Yang, "Person re-identification via hypergraph-based matching", Neurocomputing, 2016.
8. X. Chen, Z. Qin, L. An*, B. Bhanu, "Multi-person Tracking by Online Learned Grouping Model with Non-linear Motion Context", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2015. (*Corresponding author)
9. L. An, C. Zou, L. Zhang, B. Denney, "Scalable Attribute-driven Face Image Retrieval", Neurocomputing, 2015.
10. X. Chen, L. An*, B. Bhanu, "Multitarget Tracking in Nonoverlapping Cameras Using a Reference Set", IEEE Sensors Journal, 2015. (*Corresponding author)
11. L. An, S. Yang, B. Bhanu, "Person Re-Identification by Robust Canonical Correlation Analysis", IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2015.
12. T. Mei#, L. An#*, T. Mei*, Q. Li, "Supervised Segmentation of Remote Sensing Image Using Reference Descriptor", IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 2015. (#Joint first author, *Corresponding author)
13. M. Kafai#, L. An#*, B. Bhanu, "Reference Face Graph for Face Recognition", IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, 2014. (#Joint first author, *Corresponding author)
14. L. An, S. Yang, B. Bhanu, "Efficient Smile Detection by Extreme Learning Machine", Neurocomputing, 2014.
15. L. An, B. Bhanu, "Face Image Super-Resolution using 2D CCA", Signal Processing, 2014.
16. L. An, M. Kafai, B. Bhanu, "Dynamic Bayesian Network for Unconstrained Face Recognition in Surveillance Camera Networks", IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, 2013.
1. Featured PhD Dissertation, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2014
2. Member in the Spotlight, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2014.
3. Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Video and Signal-Based Surveillance (AVSS), 2013.
4. NSF Student Award, IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), 2011.
For Undergraduates: l
Digital Image Processing l
Current Research Projects：
1. Jan. 2017 - Dec. 2019: National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61602193): “Unconstrained Person Re-identification based on Multi-graph Learning”, Principle Investigator.
2. Jan. 2016 - Dec. 2018：The Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, (HUST: 2016YXMS063): “Person Re-identification based on Multi-modal Features”, Principle Investigator.
Patents and Software Copyright Registration
1. L. An, C. Zou, L. Zhang, B. Denney, D. Dusberger, "Scalable Attribute-driven Image Retrieval and Re-ranking", US Patent 2015/0154229.
2. B. Bhanu, L. An, N. Thakoor, "Unified face representation for individual recognition in surveillance videos and vehicle logo super-resolution system", US Patent 2016/0217319.